NTC 6 Routes "Privatized": 36 Individual Buses, RHT and UBS on Track
27 Juin 2013 - Défi Media Group
The decision of the NTC to no longer serve six lines caused an outcry from unions. It was the center of the PNQ in Parliament on Tuesday. 36 individual buses, the RHT and UBS operate on these lines since Monday.
The tension rose a notch since Monday. She has reached the heights to shake Parliament. Since Monday, six roads that once served the NTC were "privatized" (Editor's note: according to the term used by trade unions). Or, more prosaically, there are now private companies operating on these lines, the NTC finding short car - because of its aging fleet - to service.
Since Monday, the three buses are the United Bus Service (UBS) and 5 individual bus operating on the route Curepipe / Rivière-des-rollers (Routes 6 and 6A). 8 other bus UBS provide the service on the route Henrietta / Port-Louis (Route 141). 7 individual buses serving the route between Upper Shore and Port Louis (Route 27). 3 buses Rose Hill Transport (RHT) cover, for their part, the Camp-Levieux/Curepipe (Route 122) online. On Port-Louis/Bambous (Route 52) road, are three buses and RHT 2 UBS were allowed to operate. As for the line connecting Rivière-des-rollers in Port Louis, they are 5 individual bus track.
NTC - Paralysis of certain lines in Port Louis
A hundred men and women drivers and conductors of the NTC have paralyzed some lines serving the western region (Medina, Flic-en-Flac, Camp Levieux) Tuesday morning. They protested against the lack of communication between employees and management of the NTC. According to them, the company's director, Robin Soonarane, should consult with employees before giving some of the roads they are "very profitable" to private operators.
To 11 h 30, the filing of La Tour Koenig. A bus fault blocks the exit of the deposit, the driver refuses to move the vehicle. He is supported by his colleagues. The police rushed to the scene to calm the situation. The police had to intervene to help identify the bus pushing. Later, a policeman had to get behind the wheel to move another vehicle.
Meanwhile, at the Gare du Nord, the public transport users take their troubles patiently. A man of 83 years shares his opinion: "I never have a problem with the bus. Schedules are met. This is the first time I see it. I've been waiting almost an hour for a bus to go to Richelieu. "
While drivers and receivers of the NTC shout their frustration, the company Rose-Hill Transport, which provided some roads, withdrew at noon. Prakash Beeltah, Traffic Supervisor, agrees. "For the safety of our employees, we stopped serving lines sold by the NTC, he said. Drivers and receivers for their part did not let go. "We can not accept that others operate on our lines? We fear losing our job, "says one of them.
The National Transport Authority has had to intervene to other buses serving the affected lines. "The gravity of the situation view, we negotiated with other operators so they hurry buses to alleviate the problem," said Cyril Appajala, Transport Controller to NTA.
SAJ: "The situation in the NTC is the result of poor management"
The situation at the National Transmission Corporation is the result of mismanagement. This is the opinion expressed by Sir Jugnauth, leader Remake 2000 in a statement to Radio Plus on Tuesday. According SAJ buses NTC are not maintained as it should be. "Buses that people call 'buses of death' is rolled. We all know the number of accidents that resulted. This gives an idea of decay there have been "he said. According to him, it was necessary "to keep the NTC healthy. It is obvious that the authorities have not fulfilled their responsibilities. Who will take sanctions? Me? "He is asked.
Litigation over seven routes previously served by the NTC - The union of transport workers demanded a judicial review
The Bus Industry Union of Workers (UBIW) has petitioned the Supreme Court on Tuesday. The union of transport workers request permission from the court to review the government's decision to "privatize" seven routes served until Monday, June 24 by the National Transport Corporation (NTC). The case will be called on Monday. The UBIW is represented by Ravi Rutnah and Kaviraj Bokhoree.
Their application is directed against the NTC, the Ministry of Transport and the National Transport Authority (NTA). In an affidavit sworn by Imzad Beeharry, President of UBIW argues that it has been authorized to make this request on behalf of the union of transport workers and those who are not union members, but the employees deposits of the NTC.
The UBIW argued that Wahkil Lalloo, technical advisor and negotiator UBIW, has in a letter dated 20 June 2013, to the Minister of Public Infrastructure and Transport, demanding details of the rumors of "privatization" . Following this letter, the Minister Anil Bachoo met union representatives on June 21 and the minister confirmed the privatization of roads in question.
The UBIW argued that the decision to award the bus lines to other operators has not been the subject of consultation or meeting with the union or any other union or workers concerned, who are directly affected by this decision
"Privatize" the lines. The union believes that the roads of the NTC - objects of this "privatization" - are those that "relate the most revenue to the NTC. Give this arbitrary way the private sector is a decision most unjust and unreasonable. "
The roads in the heart of the dispute:
6-Curepipe (Jan Palach South), Rivière des Galets,
6A-Curepipe (Jan Palach South)-Chamouny,
27-Rivière du Rempart-Port Louis
52 - Port-Louis - Medina
119 Port Louis - Grande Riviere Noire, Trois-Bras-Store
122 - Curepipe (Jan Palach South)-Camp Levieux (NHDC complex)
141-Port Louis (Victoria Station) - Edge-Cascades
197-Port Louis (Victoria Station) Rivière-des-rollers